Wednesday, January 17, 2007

HEALTH ISSUES

To start at the beginning of health issues, I must begin with my cataract surgery on the left eye on Nov. 9. In prepping for the surgery, the prep woman handed me a hospital gown and hospital slippers and told me to go into the bathroom attached to my prep room to change. She said, “Take everything off but your underwear and put on this gown.” So, doing as I was told, I left on my underpants and my bra. When I got back on the gurney the EKG nurse came in and said, “Oh, you left your bra on.” I told her that I have always considered this piece of clothing as underwear. So she said, “No problem, I can do your EKG just fine like you are; I’m really GOOD at this.” So she did the EKG, and guess what, for the first time in my life it came back as ‘abnormal’. The cataract surgery went on as planned, but when I saw my primary care physician, who had just had a normal EKG done about a month earlier, and I told her my story, she said, “You need to go back down to the lab; here’s a prescription for an EKG, so that we can overlay the abnormal one with a normal one." So I did that, and guess what! It came back abnormal. So she made an appt. for me to see a cardiologist to see what was going on. So now, the rest of January is taken up by testing ordered by this heart doctor: I’m scheduled for a Heart and Vascular Carotid Ultrasound; I’m scheduled for an Echocardiogram; I’m scheduled for a Stress Test. When the doctor asked me if I’d ever had a stress test, I told him “Not on purpose”, and he described it as a treadmill on a slant. (I don’t do treadmills on a slant, so I’m not looking forward to taking this test.) I have another appt. 2 days later with this cardiologist to go over all of the results. Meanwhile, any cataract attention on the other eye is put on HOLD.

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 17, 2007, Blogger paulette said...

Since my only "stress test" was done with chemicals I thought they didn't do the treadmill thing any more.

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007, Blogger John Beauregard said...

Monica,(sorry this is so long)
I had a treadmill stress test about 5 years ago while I was still employed at Boeing. I was having mild chest pains when I went biking so I got the complete cardiac test series including EKG, stress test, ultrasound, others?. Everthing was normal except my blood pressure and cholesterol were "marginal" so they prescribed a beta blocker and a statin pill and told me to come back every 3 months for the rest of my life. The pills lowered my BP and cholesterol a bit but had no effect on my chest pains. Furthermore, I started having sever muscle pain, so bad I could barely get out of bed.

Now that I am retired I get far more exercise and I eat much better (not less). As a result I lost 35 pounds and no longer take any prescription medication and I have no more chest pains or muscle pain. I feel as good as I did in my 20s or 30s. Life is great.

Someone once said "You are the CEO of your own body". Your doctors are not always right. Their agenda is to make money and avoid law suits. Yours is to live healthy. My doctors never told me to exercise more, eat better and retire early. Instead they prescribed continuous dependense on them. Many doctors are more interested in treatment than cureing. They don't know you the way you know you. Listen carefully to what they tell you but make your own decisions.

Good luck

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007, Blogger Marcel said...

I meet a lot of people that have had stress tests, that is why many of them come to the Y to work out. After they start an exercise program and stick to it the symptoms go away. I have never had a stress test my EKG's have always been OK. Good luck with your tests.

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007, Blogger cheryl said...

They can't do this test on a curve?

 
At Sunday, January 21, 2007, Blogger Adrienne said...

He just said slan, right? He didn't specify up or down, I vote for down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home