Thursday, October 19, 2006

The One Touch Can Opener

I do have a very nice electric can opener mounted under my kitchen cabinet; it’s black to match everything else in my kitchen, and it even has a clock and a timer. I love this can opener. However, for hurricane season and inclement weather times when the power goes off, everyone needs a by-hand can opener, one of which I have had for a long time. Meanwhile, over the years, I have developed arthritis pretty bad in my right thumb joint, making it very painful to attempt to operate this hand-operated can opener. About 9 weeks ago, I saw the ad for this marvel can opener on TV and ordered one. When the one-hand can opener finally arrived, I took it out of the box, there was a little paper on how to make it work, but nothing about whether the batteries were included or not included. I was anxious to try it out, so I took out a can of tuna and pushed the button. Nothing happened, it just sat there! So I turned it over on its back, and there was a sign on its belly: ‘to replace the batteries, push down on the 2 red arrows to remove the battery cover, using both thumbs’. I did try doing that to no avail. Now, this is why I needed this one touch to start with, my thumbs don’t work very well, so if I needed a by-hand opener it would have to be operated with easy-to-install batteries. So I called the 800 number on the back of this utensil, told the fellow that I didn't know whether there were batteries in this thing or not, but if it came with batteries installed, it doesn't work. I was then told ‘no, you need to put 2 AA batteries in it; just turn it over and open the back using both of your thumbs’. I WANTED TO THROW THIS THING AT THE PHONE! So, I mailed it back to them today for a refund, and I’ll be looking for another model at a store where I can turn it over and over in my hands and see if I can load the batteries into it and make it work.

9 Comments:

At Friday, October 20, 2006, Blogger marty said...

been there, done that, even if you get the batteries in it still isn't worth a damn. You should have asked.

 
At Friday, October 20, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

You say I should have asked? Who? Did I know that you already had the scoop on this article? I wish I had. Are you telling me that none of these work and I should stop wasting my time looking for one? Boo Hoo !

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I have one called a Gizmo. It came with a rechargeable battery. First I had to leave it plugged in for 24 hours then keep the handle pushed down to run the battery down completely, then plug it back in for 12 hours. It was then supposed to work for 3 months (or x number of cans). The number of cans it was good for I wouldn't use in 2 years. So I figured I would just recharge it every three months. Well sometimes forget. When it dies, you don't know its going to die until you are in the middle of a can. Then it is very hard to dislodge from the half-opened can.

The woes of modern technology.

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

I'll let you know if I find anything more reliable. But your gizmo sound pretty good to me if it's rechargeable and you don't have to open it up to replace the batteries.

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Blogger marty said...

There is only one can opener worth its salt. Here is a url for it on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HEAVY-DUTY-COMMERCIAL-1-CAN-OPENER_W0QQitemZ130041101024QQihZ003QQcategoryZ57099QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You may smirk, but if you have ever used one you know from wence I speak.

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

I presume that you're still speaking of a battery-operated can opener? I've only dealt with ebay 1 time, and I was disappointed when I received the Adobe picture software; it turned out to be just a partial beginners version & I was very unhappy. So I don't even go there anymore. Does it have a brand name or something for which I can search the web?

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

OK Marty, I just looked at it. VERY FUNNY.

 
At Friday, October 27, 2006, Blogger marty said...

I'm sorry, I didn't send the URL thinking you might buy one, only to show the picture. I have wanted one for fifty years and haven't done anything about it yet.

It's the positive action of the knife going into the can and the wide cranking angle. All others that I have had cut when they feel like it, slip most of the time and can't do all size cans.

 
At Friday, October 27, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Oh, I thought it looked like a caulking tool, which I have used before. No battery cover to remove.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home