Sunday, September 10, 2006

Earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico

Don't know if you'all have heard this on the news yet; I've only seen it on the local news here: at 10:56am this morning there was an earthquake in the gulf. Kim called me from Disney in Orlando and said that they felt it over there. As an afterthought, I remembered thinking that my rocking chair was rocking a little bit sideways and that there might be something under the platform of the rocker, but then it immediately went away, so now I'm thinking that I probably felt it also, except that I didn't know what it was. The earthquake was about 250 miles from Clearwater, which is about 40 miles north of here, and about the same number of miles from the Sarasota area; about 350 (I think) miles from New Orleans. The cable news is still only covering the hurrican heading for Bermuda, and has not even mentioned this earthquake yet. I'm watching my end of the ocean very carefully for a tsunami. My hurricane shutters will do nothing for rising water, and I don't even have a life jacket! Life on the coast can be DANGEROUS! If anything happens, I hope it doesn't happen until after the Mens' Tennis finals this afternoon.

11 Comments:

At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

Good thing you have your priorities straight. Just let me finish my tennis and then throw whatever you want at me.

I don't get to watch much news and I had not even heard this.

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Later in the afternoon, they upgraded the intensity of the earthquake from a 5.5 to a 6.0, but they did go on to explain that you can't have a tsunami unless it reaches 6.5, and that anyway, the shallow Gulf waters will never amount to a tsunami. So at least now that I know that in addition to hurricanes, we can indeed have earthquakes, I can rest easy in that I won't float away.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

Even though your hurricane shutters won't protect you from rising water, they will certainly keep you from floating away.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Blogger KathrynVH said...

Your earthquake was in the Wall Street Journal, but they didn't interupt tennis for it. Whew. I really thought Roddick stood a chance. Ok, a very long shot chance, but he has been playing so great. Oh well. I was very happy Henin Hardiane (whatever) lost. Did you see her on camera when Sharapova was getting her award--if looks could kill, she'd be under arrest for attempted murder.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Paulette, don't you think that I could drown in my living room?

Kathy, I never did like Henin whatever, mostly because I hated her name so much. It alway sounded like people were stuttering when they pronounced her name. But I guess we haven't seen the last of her yet. Hooray Maria !

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernie says Marie Sharapova is an American and not a Russian. She was brought here when she was a few years old and learned all her tennis here. She only says she is Russian because of the money. She does wear great outfits, unlike Serena Williams.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Yes Marcel, and did you hear that she designs her dresses and also designs jewelry? What a beautiful, talented girl. It's not fair that all of this can be wrapped up into one person, but since it's too late for me, I vote more power to her.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I know that you could drown if the water rose that high. But, your body wouldn't float away.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I agree that Maria is an american as are most of those foreign tennis players.

One of the contestents on this season of Project Runway (Bravo network 10PM Wednesdays) said she designed Sarina's clothes and it was kind of hard making Sarina think she had designed them herself.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006, Blogger Sean M. said...

Hey Aunt Monica! I haven't heard from you in awhile, so I was just checking in, I guess. I was wondering if you had seen my last two posts about a Sociology project that I'm doing. I already have several family members involved, but I could always use another... Would you be willing? To find out more, just read my last two posts, since they address the project. If you do decide to participate (no risk), I will e-mail with more info. I would greatly appreciate it, but of course, if you'd rather not, that's perfectly fine. I'll talk to you later, and I hope you are enjoying your week.

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

Sean, Of course I will participate. email address:
msmitherman@tampabay.rr.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home