At Last, New Information
I've been pretty busy with surgery for a pacemaker, a colonoscopy (everyone has these?), and lots of doctor appointments lately. (Kim's been pretty busy coming here to drive me home from the surgery and also the colonoscopy about a month later.) I'm doing well, will be seeing my primary care physician tomorrow morning, and the CDD doctor on Thursday 10/23. I want to share with all of you what I learned about a pacemaker. It seems they have come a long way with this. I had a follow-up appointment with Tina, the pacemaker checker about a month ago, and will have another appointment with her in December. This is what I learned. Now the PM (pacemaker, I will refer to it now as PM-a lot shorter). It is indeed implated into my chest on the left side. Tina monitors the activity of my pacemaker on her special computer. When I saw her the first time, she turned her machine on, printing a EKG-like paper, and asked me "What were you doing on August 23?" That question surprised me, and I told her 'I don't remember'. She then said well there was a blip from your PM on that day, but it did not last long, and it's the only one so far, so I'm going to ignore it. I asked her what the machine was doing, and she said that it monitors the PM constantly, and when she turns it on with my name, it prints out a report to date. We discussed that I was shocked to know that my PM was being monitored by her machine all of the time. She said that's normal procedure. She mentioned something about that perhaps in 3-5 years, I would need the battery replaced. I shuttered at the thought, and I asked her if that meant that they were going to have to cut me open again to take the PM out and replace the battery. She said, oh no, it's done on the computer! What a relief! I don't know how that's done, but I'm happy to let the computer handle it. Do you guys find this weird or what?

6 Comments:
Welcome back to blogging. It is good to hear that you are feeling well.
The PM information is great for any of us that may require a PM in the future.
Yes, I agree that this information about the PM is very interesting. Glad to hear you are doing well, and looking forward to many more blogs to come.
Sean, I appreciate your comment, but I cannot make any promises, given that the post just before this one was in February! I did not realize that it had been that long, but lift happens.
I meant life happens.
I can't wrap my head around replacing the PM battery on the computer. But it makes me happy that they can do it.
How was the cruise?
The Disney Cruise lasted just 3 days, and it was great fun. Kim, John, and Austin shared a cabin with balcony, Danny, Janna and Carter shared a connecting cabin with Kim and John, and I shared a cabin with 2 of the girls with whom I had worked at the Water Company for 14 years. Our rooms were just one after the other all in a row, we each had a balcony, and we had a great time. The first day out we went to Paradise Island (just my group) and roamed inside and out of that great big pink hotel, and the 2nd day we all went to Castaway Cay which is Disney's private Island. They served lunch at covered picnic tables, and later the 3 in my group all sat in plastic chairs in the surf with our feet in the sand (everyone was doing it, except for the speed boat riders. It was nice and cool, and very pleasant. This area was private for adults only, so the other 2 families were not with us there; they were at the families with children's areas of the beach, but they also had a great time. Danny & John rented bicycles and they put the young ones in child seats on the back of their bikes and rode, for I don't have any idea how long. But we all met back at the ship for dinner for our last night out, and debarked the next morning about 9am and drove to each of our homes. It was a great, but short trip.
Post a Comment
<< Home