Easter and Birthday Continued
This is Sarah on her trampoline in the backyard. That thing is so big it practically covers the whole yard!This is a continuation of the Easter/Birthday celebration written yesterday.
I have a theory why Sarah writes her name with a backward S. All the other letters in her name start on the left. During the birthday party, the little ones, 3 of them, Sarah, Austin and Lottie, Doug’s niece who is 2, got into their bathing suits and Doug had some type of toy hose, about 5 feet long, and you attach it to the hose and water comes out of everywhere and the kids run through it screaming. What fun!
At some point I had been outside and went inside into the living room and here were 4 people who had never used a jump rope. Mitchell and Colton were turning the rope and Sarah and Austin were trying to jump the rope, with no success whatsoever. I asked Mitch and Colton if they’d ever done this before, and the answer was no. I was not surprised because they were doing it backward. They started with the rope in front of the jumpers and they turned the rope so it landed behind the jumpers and they would yell JUMP. I don’t have to tell you that they always just got tangled in the rope. So I told the 2 rope turners to begin with the rope behind the jumpers and turn it toward the front of the jumpers so that they could see for themselves when to jump, and perhaps that would work better. SUCCESS! Sarah did 4 successful jumps and Austin did 1. Now everybody learned something. A good time was had by all!

9 Comments:
That's very funny. I would have assumed that everyone knew how to twirl a jumprope. I have great memories of jumping rope in front of the house on Navy. We had all kinds of games that we played with it.
Monica do you remember the two of us trying to play jump rope. We tied one end of the rope to the tree in the front yard on Navy. The doggone tree was so fat it took up a lot of the rope. Do you remember why we couldn't find a third person to play with?
Well, I'm thinking we were pretty young at that time, altho I can't remember it. My guess would be that either Rita didn't want to play, or that it was before we knew Jane Frances. We didn't get to know her until about 4th grade or so.We did do a lot of jumping rope with JF in the street in front of her house,as I remember.
Hey, have you changed your profile to require one to sign in? That will leave Marcel and John out, you know?
I just realized that was MY blog. I'll have to check it out. Sorry about that.
No, we couldn't find a 3rd person because it was like 7:00 AM on a Saturday morning. We didn't like doing chores while our friends were playing outside and Ma agreed to let us play outside first and do the chores later.
When we learned the method to her madness, that the two hour play outside time would have to come before regular chore time, we tried to make it work by pretending to have fun.
At about 9:00 when the other kids were coming out to play, we had to go back in and do our chores. I think Rita was already working outside the home at that time.
Now that you mention it, I do remember. I believe that's what we were doing outside in front of the house when a boy selling newspapers was calling out "Extra, Extra, victory over Japan" or something similar to indicate the end of WWII.
Boy I remember hearing Extra Extra lots of time when I was very young (during the war years, I suppose) and I didn't get very far from home so they must have been coming up and down Navy. That was our version of a News Bulletin on TV.
Bernie and I called out "Extra Extra" lots of times. I remember doing it before the start of WWII: the invasion of Checoslovakia, the invasion of Poland, and even when Neville Chamberlin announced that we would have "Peace in our time." I note that you did not ask either Bernie or me to twirl that rope, we would not have bothered.
I like how you have dates on your blog now !!
;)
Wasn't trying to avoid you...I just wasn't home.
Post a Comment
<< Home