Friday, March 24, 2006

THE BRIDGES OF TREASURE ISLAND

Well, it didn't take me long to have something to talk about, just a trip to
J.C. Penny's today.
Not long after I moved here, on one of Rita’s first visits she asked me if I live on an island. I thought that she asked that because the name of my city is Treasure Island. I told her I didn’t know if we were actually an island or not. She said “because if it’s an island then you don’t live 'in’ Treasure Island, you live ‘on’ Treasure Island.” Well, come to find out this area is indeed an island and there are 3 bridges provided to get here. The problem with this is: Bridge No. 1: ‘The Treasure Island Causeway’ is closed completely for the construction of a completely new bridge, conceived for the purpose of building it high enough so that they don't need to stop traffic for the sailboats, but it now won’t be completed until July 2006, failing their predicted completion date of January 2006 which was timed to handle the increased traffic due to the snow birds' visits. They tell us the completion was delayed because the construction materials that had been ordered for the bridge were diverted to the Gulf War effort, thereby delaying opening of this bridge until (estimated) July 2006. Bridge No. 2: ‘The Madeira Beach Causeway’ has closed the 2-way traffic, with only one open lane for both directions, with traffic just one way at a time because they need to make repairs from the last hurricane season, and they need to get it done before the next hurricane season arrives so that we can have our bridges operating in time for the next hurricane season in case evacuation is necessary. (Are we having fun yet?) So for now, their wait for their turn’s direction on that bridge takes so long that they all elect to come over MY bridge. Isn’t this exciting?? Bridge No. 3: MY BRIDGE: ‘The Corey Causeway’ bridge by my place is the only one operating at full capacity and FULL CAPACITY it is—EVERYONE coming in or leaving this area elects to come by way of the Corey Causeway, and it is so close to where I live, that I must cross this bridge no matter where I am going (regardless of how much of a hurry I am in). This can be quite frustrating, especially when the snow birds are here and our traffic at least triples, and some of them might even be operating one of the sailboats for which the bridge must open, with or without their sails up, because they have a very tall pole going straight up into the air for about 60 feet (or whatever). The bridge's schedule is to open to boat traffic every 20 minutes, starting on the hour, then at 20 after the hour, and then at 20 to the hour. It takes about 4 minutes for the bridge operator to stop all traffic from coming onto the bridge in both directions, open the floor of the bridge for the boat- most times only 1 boat (can you imagine the feeling of power of those persons on the boat looking at all of the stopped cars just for them?), then a couple of minutes for the boat to go through that opening, and then another 4 minutes to close up that floor opening and re-open to automobile traffic. Do you get the picture? Traffic going both directions backs up for several miles and the traffic lights just happily turn red whenever they feel like it. Timmy, can’t you design something where a sailboat can be outfitted with a collapsible pole if they don’t have their sails up? I sure didn't have any of these problems when I lived and worked in Detroit or even Orlando. Life’s a beach ! But I wouldn’t live anywhere else. Most of the snow birds leave at the end of March/April and don’t come back until January. So if any of you want to visit, you know what months are good for you to come. Of course, you’re welcome anytime.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger EZ Travel said...

I remember that bridge and it is not very big to begin with. You will have to plan your trips for the middle of night; find a 24-hour store and go at 2am.

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Erika's sugestion. Construction in Florida is a constant battle. Many long time residents would like to stop all immigration to the State. You are right about a power rush for the owners of sailboats, an arragent lot. There are already sailboats that take down their masts, but they are more expensive. The law backs the boats because "the right to free navigation on inland waterways cannot be abridged.

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

I cannot use Erika's suggestion because it's been over 30 years since I've had to set my alarm clock and I wouldn't do that and get out of bed for ANY item that I needed at the store. It does beat the traffic, tho.

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Blogger paulette said...

I used to do my shopping and casinoing in the wee small hours but I am more intimidated by the dark now and it is always dark at that time. Now I do my shopping at the crack of dawn.

I have seen dawn crack at Monica's house and she is usually up.

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Blogger Monica said...

It just so happens that I did go shopping this morning(got there before the stores opened, tho). It was a much more pleasant trip. I will do it more often, but I won't get there before 9am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home